Thursday, November 13, 2008

Old Books

I love old books. The stories they tell can give insights into the times when they were written. Their pages and covers have seen the passage of time, sometimes from before electricity and cars. I wonder about their owners, the hands through which they have passed over the years, and the stories they would tell if they could.

Recently I read a book that was published over 100 years ago. It was interesting how, despite a few no longer commonly used words and some old-fashioned sentiments, the story was still quite good. Some things are universal, including a good storyteller being a good storyteller regardless of the era.

5 comments:

Fire Byrd said...

old books and perhaps old posts? I've just read the one about bags... powerful stuff.Think you missed one out though, and it may only be the tiniest purse, but it's the one that holds hope. And I think you should hold that one close to your chest and leave most of the others in lost property!
good to hear from you again.
hugs
xx

Ethereal Highway said...

In a hundred years, maybe someone will be reading one of the bestsellers that are on my very own bookshelves right now and be thinking the same things.
:-)

Kim said...

I love the way they smell. :o)
But the germ-o-phobe in me gets a little skeeved by how many hands they have passed through, LOL!!

jumpinginpuddles said...

Jane austin never ceases to rock our world :) old books are wonderful enid blyton and the rest all have life living in their pages

Angel said...

Fire Byrd(I love the name, BTW), you are very right about the bag holding hope. That one is always with me, clutched tightly against all odds.

Lynn, you never know what someone else will find valuable.

Kim,I like to tell myself that the germs have had plenty of time to "air out", lol.