Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bathroom Compulsions

My friend Kahless has inspired me with her post (located at
http://kahlessnoise.blogspot.com/2008/11/compulsive-habits.html) to write this. Her topic was compulsive habits. Other readers' comments mentioned toilet paper compulsions, which is a favorite topic of mine. Well, it's a favorite topic if I know someone and feel comfortable enough discussing my toilet paper concerns with them, lol. So here goes....

Yes, I am one of those who likes the toilet paper to fall over the roll, not under. If it's under it is more likely to touch the wall, vanity, etc and possibly come into contact with germs. Especially in a public restroom, how often do you think the wall or vanity is cleaned? ::shudder:: So I like my toilet paper to hang over the roll for better odds of lack of contact with germ-laden surfaces.

I also loathe and despise it when people put rolls of toilet paper on the bathroom floor--especially in a public place. Gross! Would you rub your private parts against a groddy bathroom floor? No? Then why would you want to pick up a roll of toilet paper off the floor and wipe it on your privates? I don't. There might as well not be any toilet paper at all if it's sitting on the bathroom floor, as far as I'm concerned.

And has anyone else ever been struck by the placement of the toilet paper in an airline restroom? It's immediately to the side of the toilet, which wouldn't be a problem if only women used it. However, once someone of the male persuasion goes into it and....say.....has less than stellar aim or loses control of the direction due to air turbulence, he has quite possibly just whizzed all over the toilet paper! Don't think so? I should have taken a picture of the restroom I was in, except that that would have meant being reminded of that nightmare again later. Yuck! That single experience is the reason I now carry tissue with me at all times.

In fact, I was so horrified by that nasty restroom that I couldn't even use it myself. I tried but I had to stand so far away from the toilet so I wouldn't risk bumping into its urine-covered surface if we had turbulence that I was too tense to be able to go. It was another couple of flights before I would even dare venture into an airline toilet again. I am happy to report that that toilet was as clean as they come, much to my surprise. In fact, in light of the awful and cramped seat that I had on the flight, I even tarried a little longer than necessary in the lavatory, washing my hands in the nicely scented liquid soap, being sure the sink was completely clean and emptied and drying the tiny counter of water drops. Overall it was a pleasant respite on a very long, fairly awful flight. It's amazing what a clean lavatory can do to improve your outlook.

It's also funny to me what compulsions I have about bathrooms. Thanks, Kahless, for opening the door to the topic so I could share them. Maybe someone else will get the same chuckle out of them that I do.

5 comments:

Kahless said...

My partner too has to have the toilet paper going over the roll.

I'll fess up to another oddity on your blog.

When I use a public toilet I can get so tense that I cant 'go' even if I am busting to go. I have to count quietly in order to relax. It usually takes 20 secs (I know as I count!)

lol!

As humans are funny!

Angel said...

Kahless, I do the exact same thing. Counting makes me feel too much pressure so I have to imagine music in my head, maybe even plug my ears and imagine a waterfall. All that--despite being about at the busting point when I ran in there. Bizarre, I know.

Yep,we all do crazy stuff. It's kind of reassuring, though.

Recently I saw another woman in the restroom who used her elbows to pull the lever for paper towels. I said, "You do that too, eh?" and nodded at her elbows? She was confused at first as to what I was referring to, then she got it and said that she is a nurse so that is standard practice each and every day. So I didn't even know I had some of the same quirks as those who work in the medical profession, lol.

Yep, I must admit I laugh at myself sometimes about my little quirks. A good sense of humor helps make it seem funny instead of annoying.

Kim said...

Me too, me too!! I have total bathroom quirks. Direction of TP is a big one. My XDH and I used to fight over that ALL the time. I have a "shy bladder". If there is someone in the bathroom with me or if I can hear people talking, I can't go. I also need to practice some sort of relaxation before I'm able to go. I also don't want to be in a stall next to another person if I can help it and I need to have the end stall because I'm paranoid about people looking over the top of the stalls (since it happened to me as a kid). Funny.

Enola said...

Now that my daughter is using toilets, I hate that they put the rolls SO FAR AWAY from the toilet. She has to get off the toilet, walk a few steps, get toilet paper while dripping all over her shoes and pants.

Ethereal Highway said...

I just want people not to do gross things to the bathroom. No throwing wet towels or clothes on the floor, no tossing your Kleenex and thinking it's good enough when it lands next to the trashcan instead of IN it, no smeary toothpaste blobs in the sink... stuff like that. At least they seem to have cut back on leaving their crap around in general. I guess I'll demand the more detailed stuff at a later date.

:-)