Monday, March 3, 2008

Lighthearted Look at Negative Messages

Sometimes I have a somewhat warped sense of humor. This is a true story, and is being shared as "funny." Feel free to laugh at my precocious naivete. (a deliberate oxymoron which does fit)

Imagine you are a child. A female child, about the age of 10. You see someone's p*rn magazine and you are sure that what you see in the pictures is "bad" so you assume that everything in it is bad.

Switching to 1st person: I saw a phrase that perplexed my 10-year-old brain. It wasn't in the dictionary, which was further indication to the child me that it was "bad". This was before computers in the home and the internet. So I filed it under "bad word" in my brain to make sure I wouldn't say it.

The years passed. Imagine my horror one day when part of that phrase--the part that I thought was "bad" because I couldn't find it in the dictionary--was on a billboard! I was struck dumb. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, couldn't do anything but look at the billboard in horror. What horrid entity actually paid to put that obscenity on a billboard? Was our society really going to h*ll and like now that p*rn was being put on billboards for all passersby to see?

Then it suddenly hit me what else was on the billboard. Of course! It was an advertisement, and it wasn't for anything related to p*rn. The word was a brand name of a particular product. It was solely because of its usage in a p*rn magazine that I had thought it was a "bad word." Oops!

And all these years I've thought it was a "bad word". I laughed my butt off over that one for a long time.

3 comments:

Kim said...

That is funny! I actually went in the other direction with that. Thinking bad words were fine because I heard them in such normal context. Imagine the surprises I bestowed on people!

Angel said...

Oh my, I am seeing all kinds of awkward situations being possible there!

Enola said...

So what was the word? I'm like Perfect. I thought those words were okay. Only I just knew the crude ones. So I'd pop out with the crude word for a body part instead of the "pc" word. Slowly I learned to keep my mouth shut because otherwise I might embarrass myself.