Friday, October 10, 2008

Unclaimed Baggage

I was thinking about unclaimed baggage and the owners. Does someone not miss their belongings? How do so many pieces of luggage get so irretrievably lost? But then I thought about how we might actually be relieved at our loads being lightened.

That bag there, it holds the guilt I felt over my abuse upsetting you.

That bag next to it, it holds the shame I felt for inspiring those acts in my abuser's mind. (Because, like most children, I thought it was my fault.)

The bag next to it, it holds the anger I felt at you making me continue to see him.

That bag, it holds the anger I felt at you for ignoring my pain.

The bag next to that one holds the anger I felt at you for not protecting me.

The next bag holds the anger I felt at you for allowing the emotional damage to continue long after the act stopped.

The gray bag next to it holds the pain I felt whenever I thought of how you must feel about your inadequacies as a mother. (Yeah, follow that!)

The yellow suitcase contains the guilt I felt for having a life of my own making, despite your example.

The burgandy suitcase next to it holds the guilt I felt for choosing a good partner who cares for me. Yes, I dared to expect to be treated well.

The blue bag holds the guilt you tried to feed me over my happiness, at my not being a victim.

The white suitcase holds the manipulation you tried to wield, to no avail. The manipulation was concealed under the guise of concern, but I saw it for what it was.

I claim none of it.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Well said.

Kahless said...

I hope you are not carrying this baggage which doesnt belong to you.

jumpinginpuddles said...

baggage is so hard yet we still carry it

Strong and determined said...

Thanks for sharing this post. I wish I could write as openly as you do about my feelings and baggage - some unclaimed and also some still dragging behind me. Thanks for helping me to recognize my own baggage by sharing yours.