Sunday, February 17, 2008

"The Morning After" Regrets?

Okay, so in the cold light of day I reread what I wrote last night while under the influence. The part of me that chose the blog title wants to keep it, as it fits into an interesting topic. I'm fascinated by the underlying messages in various media. For example, look at the children's tale "Little Red Riding Hood." There are slightly different versions of it from different authors in different countries, but the Brothers Grimm version (which is the one I grew up with in the U.S.) is said to be a morality tale that cautions against "wandering off the path." Little Red Riding Hood wanders off the path on her way to her grandmother's house, which gives the hungry wolf a chance to reach her grandmother's house before she does. If Little Red Riding Hood had stuck to the well-worn path which previous travelers had taken, the ending would have been different. It is because she dared to wander the unknown path in search of the delights of wildflowers that
the wolf was able to carry out his diabolical plot.

Does that idea remind anyone else of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken"? "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood....", it begins, ending with, "I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."

So my posting of last night, as personal as it is, follows the theme which I envisioned for this blog: a tale of what happens when you don't follow the standard path.

No comments: